Sunday, January 8, 2012

Griffith Observatory

I'd like to visit Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles some day.  No, I'm not big on astronomy.

Parts of one of my favorite, most life-changing movies were filmed there.  The movie, of course, is Rebel Without a Cause, and the climactic finals scenes were shot in and around the Observatory.

In Fairmount, Indiana, I saw a duplicate of this statue (which resides outside Griffith Observatory):


Of course, this one looks out over the Hollywood hills and the one I saw was in the middle of a tiny town square surrounded by trees and preteens on Huffy bikes.  I know which one is more glamorous, but you have to give the heart and soul award to Fairmount.  One of my all-time favorite towns.

Back to the Observatory.  I want to stand where (spoiler alert) Jim gives Plato his jacket and takes the bullets out of his gun.  And then proceed to the spot on the front lawn where Plato is shot by the cops and Jim dramatically yells, "I got the bullets!" 

It gives me chills just thinking about it.  What a brilliant film, and how brilliant to film it in such a public spot, where fans can recreate those memorable scenes. 

Might be tough to recreate the flash mob scene around back, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment