Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Favorite Albums - The White Album 1/5

I love music.  Pop, punk, disco, rap - my musical tastes are many and varied and often bizarro.  And usually dictated by my mood on any given day.

Like most people, my favorite albums, songs, and musicians are always changing, too.  One day I'm obsessed with the Bob Dylan, the next it's all about the Ramones.  And the day after that I am digging Kanye.

But I think I've narrowed it down to five albums that will always be in my top ten, if not higher.  At the very least, it will be fun to look back at this in five years to wonder what the hell I was thinking.

So, here's my first one:
 
The Beatles' White Album might be my favorite of all time, but try to resist quoting me on that, if you can manage.  I really obsess over this album, though.  I normally play disk 1 and then disk 2 and then disk 1 and then disk 2 (rinse repeat) over and over when I listen to it.

There is so much balance and juxtaposition: the gorgeously melodic "Blackbird" follows the slow and draining beat of "I'm So Tired."  Arguably the hardest rocking song the Beatles ever put out, "Helter Skelter," is followed by the floaty Harrison penned "Long, Long, Long," with it's ethereal guitar and driving drum beats. 

The only weak point of the album occurs at the end of disk 2, when the performance art-esque "Revolution 9" hits your speakers followed by the tongue in cheek Ringo ballad "Good Night."  But, then, there is a reason those tracks were placed at the end of a two disk album.

Some of my favorite tracks: "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" "Long, Long, Long" "Sexy Sadie" "Dear Prudence"

No comments:

Post a Comment