Saturday, February 11, 2012

One Moment in Time

In the coming weeks, there are bound to be countless tributes to Whitney Houston, who died of unknown causes one day before the 2012 Grammy Awards.  A ceremony she once, for all intents and purposes, owned.  But that was years ago.

Celebrities have come out of the woodwork to give their two cents through television and radio interviews.  Twitter and Facebook are aflutter with memories of Houston, her music, and of course, The Bodyguard.  Which was a great movie.

Some people can't stop talking about her problems, which I think is totally inappropriate at this time.  There's enough to talk about without calling her out from beyond the grave less than 24 hours after her passing.

It would be remiss of me to imply that I was a huge Whitney Houston fan.  I knew a handful of her songs and I can appreciate her incredible talent.

But I feel like I have to put something "out there" (proverbially).

Between the ages of five and seven, I listened to the song "One Moment in Time" every day.  Multiple times a day.  It was on a cassette that came with my parent's 1990 Ford Taurus.

I thought that song was so ridiculously beautiful, meaningful, and EPIC.  I sang it at the top of my lungs.  I literally wore the cassette tape out.  It was my very favorite song for most of my childhood.

Like I said, I was never a big fan.  But she made one song that brought a little girl in the early 90s so much joy, that no amount of controversy could taint her career.  She was a success.

Rest in peace, Whitney Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment